Una Musica che Canta

Sunday, April 10, 2011

When it gets really bored, I would grab my Yamaha C-40 acoustic guitar, get my piece stand and with an empty page of a music sheet, I would write down some notations. It has been three months from now that I stopped working on the different guitar scales. From the basic Triad Scale to the Lucrian, Ionian and Dorian Scales, I patiently combined them to make music. But within a short time, I stopped and laid my guitar in its stand.



Music has been a part of my life since I was 7, when I started to play the piano. However, in my tender age, I would prefer an outdoor game with the neighborhood kids and try to fake out an illness that could spare me from my piano lessons. As I entered the seminary, music became a big part of my life as to a bloodstream that connects to my heart that keeps it beating. I made a lot of compositions, namely liturgical compositions, Theme songs and even crazy songs whenever I and my brothers feel the melancholy of seminary life. The Solfeggio served as my breviary while my guitar and the piano collaborate to make this they call language of the soul.

My decision for regency wasn’t an option to stop me from making music. I met several people enrolled in the conservatory of music, thus makes us united in a single cause: to live as musicians. I joined several bands just to know the different variations and genres. I had my first step with a Rock band that plays heavy metal. Then I shifted to play Reggae Music and our band was the first ever reggae band that gave Iloilo the Rastafarian influence. I went to Ethnic music, taking Philippine Ancient Instruments after my reggae career, and had a chance to play with Armor and the other members of Pinikpikan and of course with Mr. Joey Ayala. When I had my studies in Italy, I was recruited to be a part of Gen Rosso, and it gave me a big break: to sing the “Resta Qui Con Noi” for Karol Wojtyla on his last birthday. Such a privileged to sing one of the Pope’s favorite songs in a huge Salotto with numerous spectators and of course wearing a black cassock while doing this part. I also had a chance to go to Salzburg, Austria and had some music courses in The Mozarteum, the world’s school of music.



Upon my return to my homeland, I met this charming young lady; the most beautiful woman in the world and the reason why I pulled off my Theology Course, and eventually turned away from the Presbyterian ministry. I made her a song titled: “Masterpieces”, and did the collaboration with Fr. Mimo to finish the arrangement and notations. However, when she fell out of our love due to a fraudulent asshole from Barotac Nuevo, I lost my desire to make music once more.



When will my music come back? I don’t know. However, I had my symphony, still with me. It is her presence in my arms again. She is my music. She is the language of my soul.

“Love music as much as everything. Love music more than food…” – August Rush



0 comments

Post a Comment